Friday, May 10, 2013

Digital Citizenship inside Early Childhood Education

 
 
When I first started researching digital citizenship I found article after article about cyber bullying.  Cyber bulling, an issue normally arising in middle school.  How does this apply to the Early Childhood classroom?  It took some thinking, but in actuality it does.  As parents, educators, and community members, it is necessary to teach our children how to be polite, upstanding citizens.  Teaching this early in life, will only promote these characteristics when our children are in upper elementary grades.  Therefore, I believe the first step in Digital Citizenship is building children with strong morals.  That being said, where do I go from here?  Digital Citizenship is more than how we act on the internet, it encompasses digital literacy, media literacy, online safety and security, as well as information literacy.
 
 


For further information on how to promote and teach digital citizenship in your classroom please take a look at this article this website by clicking on the picture to the left!









What is digital citizenship?  What does it mean to Early Childhood Education?  Why is it important to promote and teach digital citizenship to your students?  What issues can arise surrounding digital citizenship in Early Childhood Education?  What resources can a teacher use inside their classroom to promote and teach digital citizenship?  Why are these resources viable and valuable to the classroom teacher?  Find the answer to all these questions by watching the short presentation I have created below! 






 
For information on the resources I used to compile this information click here!


7 comments:

  1. I like how you included the 9 elements in your Prezi. I think the way you designed that part was unique. I also like how you pointed out the issues in middle school have their roots in the primary grades. I agree that we can help to prevent these issues by addressing them before they even start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the article you posted in your blog which promoted three resources which were Google, Cyberwise, and your public library. I also liked the creativeness you used for your nine elements. I can tell you put a lot of hard work into your prezi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karla, I really enjoyed your prezi. It was well developed and creative. I liked how you took the nine elements and described each one with a picture. I also agree that we need to teach students to be polite in the earlier grades will only help them in the upper grades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice touch to add the link the article inside the picture! I want to compliment you on how far you've come in using technology! You have learned a lot and it shows in your work, great job Karla! (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karla you made some very good points. Cyber Bullying is very real and current issue. I am glad you took time to really focus on that. We need to take preventive measures if we want to be effective in ending this issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your prezi! I thought that it was put together well and you had a lot of useful information. Also, your post and prezi were both very eye appealing! Good use of pictures and fonts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you used your prezi to talk about the 9 elements of digital citizenship. you addressed cyber bullying which is such an issue today with children and as teachers we must care to put an end to this "fad". Good job with everything. The prezi is awesome and the images used in your blog post are cute!

    ReplyDelete